Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Progress on the XR600

Dec 11, 2012

Tonight I found the motivation to bear the cold and dark(I hate working with false light and shadows) and work on the XR600.  When I bought the bike I had never heard it running.  I noticed it was low on oil. So I filled the oil and it almost started but it still never ran.  The next day I noticed a large puddle of oil under the bike and the culprit was the seal for the kick starter.  Tonight I changed the oil and installed a new seal.  I put the tank on and sprayed some starter fluid on the air filter.  After several kicks it fired up.  It didn't run for long.  I still need to clean the carb because the floats are stuck.  I did manage to crack the throttle about 1/3 open and the motor sounds like its in great condition.  Previous owner said it has a recently installed top end with low hours since that.  And from what I heard tonight I can believe that.

 Probably the best picture I have of the bike
 draining oil
 oil drain hole

 oil drain hole in frame


 oil filter removed

wiped clean
 spring installed
hold in kill switch  
 AND kick over a few times to get all old oil out


 new filter
 I love Tusk products from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC


Honda oil 

 kick starter removed



 removing seal
old seal 
 no seal
 new seal with grease
new seal installed

No comments:

Post a Comment