Monday, January 25, 2016

Garage Pallet Wood Wall Build (in progress)

I have been wanting to finish this project ever since we moved into our house.  My garage has a heater in it however it needs to run 100% in order to maintain a heated garage.  I needed in inexpensive solution to finishing out my garage walls and keeping in some heat.

For months this was the most progress I had made on the pallet wood wall. (minus the insulation).


Finally in the recent weeks I got back onto this project.  I started installing the insulation and pallet wood.  I have made pretty good headway and am now more than 50% completed.

More FREE stuff!  This insulation was in the garage attic when we moved in.  In all I started with (6) rolls.  I think it may be enough to finish all the garage walls (or nearly all of them).  One roll was enough for behind all the pallet wood wall.



Gloves and mask to prevent itching!


I think I calculated it would take approximately 20 normal sized pallets to complete this project.  





Stripped pallet wood.  Ready to cut to fit and install.


I would have to say cheap isn't always easy.  It was very time consuming to pick up the pallets, remove usable wood and installing it on my walls.  Pallets were free to me from a nearby manufacturing plant.  After significant trial and error I found some bad ways and some better ways in order to remove the desired wood.  In most cases I ended up cutting off the 2 ends since they were usually already split.  If they were not split I would quickly split them merely by attempting to remove the nails.  I had a hard time finding pallets with lengths long enough to span 2 stud widths (48" in my case).  I used these lengths sparingly in order to keep a random pattern.  One other thing to note would be try to find consistent pallets.  Mostly I would recommend consistency in plank height to prevent having to match different heights.  Now I am speaking in slight variations of say 3" to 3-1/2" heights.  I enjoyed my larger 7" planks which are actually a perfect combination with a 3-1/2" plant to help keep a unique and random pattern.  














Eventually I would like to replace the outlet and outlet cover.  This is what I had laying around so I figured I would at least paint it to match.









1 comment:

  1. I never, ever would have imagined that something so useful and practical could have been accomplished with simple wood pallets! What an amazing gift to come up with such innovative and creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete